Medium Roast Da Hong Pao Oolong 2017
This is the finest Da Hong Pao aka "Big Red Robe" oolong we have offered to date. Big Red Robe is an open leaf, or twisted, oolong tea. It is more heavily oxidized which make the leaves look darker brown in color in their dried form. It produces a smooth, malty, full-bodied cup of tea. Hints of chocolate with an overall rich and roasty flavor. This tea will age well over the next couple of years.
Known in China as Da Hong Pao, it is one of the most famous oolongs in their country. The tea bush is grown in the Wu Yi Mountain area which is very rocky. Over centuries, developing methods to grow tea bushes in such difficult conditions has created a specialized style of oolong tea (“rock tea”) that is highly revered and sought after around the world.
Basic Brewing Instructions:
- Oolong tea should be given a 5-10 second rinse with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
- 195˚ F water temperature. Water temp may be increased in later infusions.
- Use 1 Tablespoon per 8oz. of filtered water
- Recommended first steeping of 30 seconds. Add 15-30 seconds for each subsequent infusion up to 3 minutes.
- Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.