Lapsang Souchang -Spring 2017
Fresh and wonderful Spring 2017 tea. This batch is incredible. Provides a mellow cup at shorter steepings without any overbearing smoki-ness. We have served this to people who don't normally enjoy smoky teas and they light right up upon tasting this one. So good!
The distinct flavor of Lapsang is created by withering tea leaves over a pine or cypress fire which creates a bold smoky aroma. It has an assertive taste and is suitable for those looking for a unique cup of tea. We have tried many other varieties of Lapsang and were left thinking only of liquid smoke. When we found this tea we were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and subtle the smokiness is. The quality is evident, plus, our premium Lapsang tea is organically grown!
Black tea is produced by fully oxidizing a tea leaf once it has been picked. It is a heartier tea and should be steeped with higher temperature water. You will likely enjoy doing only a few longer steepings, but black tea can be prepared Gong Fu style.
Basic Brewing Instructions:
- Black tea may be given a 5 to 10-second rinse with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
- 208˚ F water temperature. (Just below boiling.)
- Use 1 teaspoon per 8oz. of filtered water.
- Recommended first steeping of 1 minute. Add 1 minute for each subsequent steeping up to 5 minutes.
- Alternately, try one long steeping of 3-5 minutes.
- Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.