Golden Peony Oolong 2018
Spring 2018 crop.
Such complexity! A medium to heavily roasted rock oolong, this tea comes to us from China’s Fujian province and is the pride of our current dark oolong offerings. A warming tea with full-bodied flavor. We love the minerals present in the tea liquor that leave our tongues coated and stimulated long after it has been swallowed.
We smell light floral notes, peaches and stone fruit and toasted vanilla. The flavor is well-rounded with hints of peach, citrus, honey and apricot alongside the classic rock oolong essences of boiled root vegetables (yams, anyone?), tobacco and nuts.
This is a tea that you won’t want to miss out on. Experiment with amount of leaf. Some love this with a fully-loaded gaiwan while others will prefer a light leafing. Enjoy!
Basic Brewing Instructions:
- Oolong tea should be given a 5-10 second rinse with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
- 195˚ F water temperature. Water temp may be increased in later infusions.
- Use 1 Tablespoon per 8oz. of filtered water
- Recommended first steeping of 30 seconds. Add 15-30 seconds for each subsequent infusion up to 3 minutes.
- Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.